Sunday, September 18, 2011

OOPS! and Fun

Today I thought to myself, why not give my blog a face-lift.  Well, apparently I am not very good at navigating the settings and such because within an hour I had an atrocious blog.  It looked like someone threw up on my screen and added pictures.  Ewe.  This called for emergency blogger reconstruction!  After about three hours I got it looking like this.  It still is hardly cute but I guess now I have a project to work on for the next few days.  I am always in need of projects!
But that wasn't the only fun I had today.  I had the opportunity slash need to drive to church, which is located in a town about ten minutes away called Dooradoyle.  Needless to say, I was secretly terrified.  I can handle driving big vehicles and a manual transmission...but usually that stick is on the right side of the driver, not the left. And usually the driver is on the right side of the road, not the left.  So in my brain I am trying to reverse EVERYTHING that I know and channel it to my driving skills in order to prevent casualties.  And eventually it worked!  I successfully drove to and from church (I even backed into the parking stall in case we needed to make a fast getaway...and because backing out is like something from a horror film) without killing anything, even that little squirrel that was scampering by the lane going to the Villas.  I feel so accomplished! 
Church was also exciting!  We found a row in the chapel towards the back and we started to file in, well Afton was more like prancing in, and the two couples sitting behind us started commenting on how cute she was with her little purse and her beads and with that I noticed they had American accents.  I didn't strike up a conversation or anything with them because sometimes when I hear someone speak I get confused am not sure what their accent is...so who knows if they were American?  I know that makes not sense at all but what can you do?  Anyway, in Relief Society the sister who conducted welcomed the visitors from America so afterwards we started talking to them and found they are our neighbors!  They are staying a few numbers down from us in the Villas.  They are from Vegas and just came to tour.  The women were so nice (unfortunately we weren't able to talk to their husbands) that I feel like I have a connection with them.  And I guess that is how a lot of this trip has been; you meet people and this urge comes over you to learn all you can about that person and share your life story.  
This week was a waste.  I got sick and watched t.v. all day and most of the night.  I was exhausted but couldn't sleep.  And it made me realize there is hardly any consistency in UK's t.v. broadcasting.  They are consistent with "Master Chef Ireland" (that is on every Tues and Thurs at 9:30 pm, its a favorite but kind of late at night) and the BBC "Robin Hood" comes on mid-morning on Saturday (which is also a favorite).  But for the rest you can have shows on at 10:50 or 9:45; where we are used to on the hour and half hour, it is confusing yet kind of amusing.  I was able to watch Smallville at 3:00 am a couple nights ago, it was a good episode.  Oh, they also have a Sunday movie; tonight it looks like its "The Wedding Planner."  But back to the main point, I am now feeling LOADS better.  It was kind of unnerving to be in a situation where if I did need to go see a doctor, I wouldn't know how to go about...going.  Luckily I didn't have to experience that and hopefully I won't ever have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment